Gambling has been around in some way shape or form for as far back as historical records go, but it has been evolving over the past few years – with people gambling on almost anything, from football to the Olympics, and even the outcome of reality TV shows.
All of the old favourites are still as prominent as ever too – with Roulette and Texas Holdem poker being the big favourites, although HORSE and 8-game poker are becoming increasingly popular in the online world, these are simply poker tournaments or ring games whereby the poker variation changes either every x hands (where x is a set amount) or often every orbit of the table in tournaments – that means, every time the button makes a full lap of the table, the game will change.
In recent years people have even been gambling on the outcome of gambling itself, with huge prop bets which far outshadow the prize pool of the actual event.
But it’s not only what we gamble on which has been changing, it is also how we gamble, with online bookmakers being more and more common, and poker/casino sites being bigger than ever, people flock to them in their masses.
No longer do you need to visit your local bookmakers or Casino to get your gambling fix, you can load up your laptop, bet via a smartphone app, or even load up your android box and play poker on your 60” TV set!
We’ve taken a look at some of the craziest bets that have been placed in the past, with big wins to boot!
One gambler bet on the outcome of the recent US Presidential election, placing a whopping £200,000 on a bet that Donald Trump would win – of course, he then did go on to win and the lucky punter walked away with a cool £700,000!
Not everyone who wins big bets big though, one winner over on the William Hill website placed a £1 football accumulator and walked away with an absolutely life changing sum of £181,570.50.
His lucky winning accumulator included ;
- Tottenham Hotspurs to beat Colchester, and have 3 or more goals in the match
- Arsenal to beat Burnley with 3+ goals in the match
- Man City to beat Aston Villa
- Watford to win against Notts Forest
- Bournemouth to win against Portsmouth and both teams to bag at least 1 goal
- Wigan to win against Port Vale
- Eibar vs Malaga both teams must score a goal, but match to not end in a draw
- Ath. Bilbao to win against Getafe
- Real Sociedad to beat Betis
- Atlanta and Sussuolo to both score
- Carpi vs Palmero to both score
- Roma to win with more than 3 goals in the match against Frosinone
- Schalke to win against Darmstadt
- Porto to win with at least 3 goals in the match against Estoril
- Standard to win against Leuven
- And finally, Genk to win against Kortrijk
As you can see, there was quite a variety of bet types and teams from different countries and leagues, but the lucky guy predicted the outcome of all of them correctly, winning his outrageous 181569/1 accumulator!